More on load cell temperature compensation

Sometimes, simpler is better. Here is a new version of load cell temperature compensation, which is simpler and works better. All the beginning is the same (the model is unchanged), only the way the model is applied is different. Also I collected a new set of data with more precise temperature measurement to better test the model. The result appear on the last chart; it show that weight measurement drift with temperature can be almost completely eliminated.

In case M. Moderator reads this, can you please remove the previous post (I am repeating everything here below)) ? It would make the thing easier and quicker to grab for new comers interested in this topic. [M. Moderator @wtf: You are reading the updated version from April, 11th 2022, right here!]

Here is the new post, with complete explanation:

The weight sensor is a strain gauge, which is a resistor which value varies very slightly when the metal in which it is embedded deforms under the effect of the weight to be measured. This resistor forms with 3 other fixed resistors of known values a Wheatstone bridge. The circuit to which the strain gauge is connected measures the voltage difference VG and then a simple calculation gives the resistance RX of the strain gauge.

When no load is put on the scale, the readout of the ADC is called the offset.

The output of the ADC when a load is applied to the scale represents the value of that mass, plus the offset.

Therefore, in order to measure a mass, we measure the output of the ADC when the mass is applied on the scale, from which we subtract the offset and the result is divided by a fixed factor representing how much the ADC value varies for 1 g of load. Load cells providers state that their products are “temperature compensated”, which means that this difference (value read when load is applied minus value read when no load is applied) is a more or less independent of temperature. But the value of the offset itself IS temperature dependent. According to my measurements, it varies linearly with the temperature with a slope depending on the load cell. I tested six different H40 load cells from the German supplier Bosche (by far the best supplier I have tested) and I was able to measure slopes that varied from 1 to 7g per degree. When the temperature fluctuates 20 degrees, the best loadcell drifts by 20 g, which seems acceptable and probably does not require implementing temperature compensation. On the other hand, the worst one drifts by 140 g for this temperature range, justifying a temperature compensation.

We will see in this document how to implement an efficient temperature compensation based on a proposed modeling of the loadcell and corresponding mathematical calculations.

At the end this document, we will apply the proposed temperature compensation formulas to actual data collected on a beehive scale and will show that temperature drifts can be almost entirely compensated thanks to the proposed model.

The graph above shows the variation of the offset measurement as a function of temperature for an “average” load cell among the six that I have tested. In this particular case, 45 units correspond to 1 g so the offset varies 2.85 g per degree.

On a “normal” scale, the variation of the offset with the temperature does not pose a problem because offset is measured each time power is switched on; the value of the mass minus the offset is therefore independent of the temperature. But “zero-ing” the offset at each measure is not possible with a hive scale because the mass is applied permanently and the value of the offset that is subtracted from the measurement is an offset measured beforehand at a temperature different from the actual measurement temperature. .

If the load cell is calibrated beforehand and we know how the offset varies with temperature (linear curve here above), we should be able to correct the measurement by calculating the true offset at the current temperature instead of the one measured beforehand at a different temperature. Unfortunately the load cell has a certain thermal inertia and when the outside temperature varies, the temperature of the load cell does not vary by the same value. We must therefore find a way to determine what is the internal temperature of the load cell based on historical temperatures.

The load cell, especially when fixed in its scale structure, has a certain heat capacity C. Its temperature, which is assumed to be homogeneous inside the load cell, does not vary in the same way as the outside temperature because the load cell mounted in the scale has a given thermal conductivity σ which is not infinite. The quantity of heat dq that is absorbed by the load cell during a time dt causes its temperature to change by Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.40.13 and it’s easy to understand that the higher the temperature difference between the load cell Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.41.06 and the outside temperature Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.41.12 the faster the load cell temperature changes.

For an electronics engineer, all of this reminds what happens when a capacitor is charged through a resistor from a constant voltage source.

And as expected, when a temperature step is applied to the load cell mounted in the scale, we can observe that the ADC output evolves over time with a curve that looks a lot like the charge of a capacitor C (here the heat capacity of the scale) at constant voltage (here the temperature step ∆T) through a resistor (homogeneous with the inverse of the thermal conductivity: 1/σ ).

The graph above shows the change in ADC output when the unloaded scale is moved from an indoor environment with a stabilized temperature of 21°C to an outdoor environment with a temperature of -1°C (almost) stable over the duration of the measurement.

We now need to put all that in equations…
In the analogy with the evolution of the voltage U measured on a capacitor C when it is charged at constant voltage E through a resistor R , the diagram is as follows:

The charging current i is equal to the amount of energy stored by the capacitor per unit of time, i.e. i=dq/dt and therefore, knowing that U=qC the current is Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.43.06

We can therefore express the voltage E as follows:

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.17.32

In our case, R is homogeneous with 1/σ , the inverse of the conductivity, E is homogeneous with the variation of the offset resulting from the temperature step if the conductivity were infinite (let us call Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 16.59.13 this offset value), C is homogeneous with the heat capacity of the load cell and U is homogeneous with the actual measured offset O(t). The differential equation which defines the temperature is therefore:

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.19.04

O(t) being the offset increment since the temperature step was applied

It can be demonstrated in mathematics that the solutions Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.21.35 of a differential equation of order 1 with constant second member, of type Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.22.26 are of the form:

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.20.37

k being a real number that is determined in physics with the initial conditions. In our case, the differential equation can be written:
Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.23.31

So we have :
Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.24.22

And the solutions to our differential equation are therefore of the form:

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.25.03

We know that at time t=0, the increment of the offset is zero and we can therefore deduct that

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.25.39

And therefore, the offset increment since the time the temperature step was applied is calculated as follows:

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.26.30

The time constant σ/C is unknown; we will therefore determine it graphically by representing on the previous graph the equation obtained above. We see on the graph below that with a time constant equal to 17 (the time being counted in minutes), the two curves overlap almost perfectly, which seems to indicate that the chosen model is correct.

By the way, offset being proportional to weight, the previous equation can also be written as:

Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.28.00

Which means – it’s important to be precise because the notation is a bit misleading – that when a temperature step corresponding to a weight readout change of Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.28.31 (after an infinite time) is applied, the actual readout of the weight is evolving over time according to the above equation, knowing of course that the weight itself is stable over time.

But we are not done yet. The experiment and the calculations that we have just made have allowed us on one hand to verify that the chosen model is correct and on the other hand to determine graphically what is the time constant of the scale measurement process, but we still do not know not how to calculate the temperature of the load cell based on the outside temperature, which of course is varying over time instead of being constant as in our experience…

Here we need to make an approximation and we will assume that the temperature evolution over time is a series of small temperature steps applied each time we take a weight measure. In others terms, if we take a measure every 15mn, we will assume that the load cell temperature when we take a measure is resulting from :

• a temperature step applied 15 minutes ago and equal to the temperature difference between current measure and previous one

• another temperature step applied 30mn ago and equal to the temperature difference between the measure we took 15mn ago and the one we took 30mn ago

• plus the one before, etc, etc…

Because we know the time constant is 17mn, we will consider only the last 5 measures – which means that anything that happened before 75mn ago is ignored.

In order to test this model, we have put the scale in a closed box (to make sure temperature is correctly measured, avoiding the effect of sun shining on the scale) with a ~2Kg weight on it and we put this box outside during a week. Then we collected the raw weight measurement every 15mn along with the temperature at the same time.

Here is the corresponding chart:

The weight measurement when a constant mass is applied on the scale does varies quite a lot with temperature. We have seen before that weight readout is proportional to temperature and by looking at the extremes points of the above graph, we can calculate what is the slope α of corresponding linear curve
Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.27.19

In this case, Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.29.59

So when a temperature step Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.30.30 is applied on the scale, the weight measurement changes – after an infinite time where temperature stays constant – by a value Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.31.09

The previous equation can therefore be written Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.31.54

So each time we take a new measure, we applied this formula with t=15mn, Capture d’écran 2022-04-10 à 10.32.28 being the temperature difference between this measure and the previous one, 15mn ago. This is giving us the value by which the weight measurement has changed as a result of this temperature step. To this value we add the weight measurement change resulting of the temperature step applied 30mn ago (t=30), plus the one 45mn ago, plus the one applied 60mn ago plus the one applied 75mn ago and we stop here because further in the past, the effect of a temperature step vanishes almost entirely.

The process is therefore the following: each time a weight measurement is taken, the above process is applied and the calculated weight measurement change is subtracted from the measured weight, giving a temperature compensated weight measurement.

The graph here below is the same as the previous one, on which the red curve representing the temperature compensated weight is shown. This weight is staying relatively flat when temperature changes, which seems to indicate that the model and the way it is applied is working OK.

The glitch in the middle corresponds to a move of the box in which the scale was placed from shadow to sun (as indicated by the sudden temperature increase). It’s likely that this move has induced some false measurement.

Apart from the glitch resulting from a move of the scale, we now have a weight measurement system that is largely immune to temperature changes.

Practically, the key to have a good measurement is to make sure the temperature is correctly measured, which is not as simple as it seems especially when sun is shining (as soon as sun shines directly on either the load cell or on the temperature sensor, it creates bad measures; and if it shines on the cable bringing the load cell signal to the ADC, it creates another perturbation - called Seebeck effect - that is well explained by @weef in this post).

10 Likes

Hey hsors,
Great work! :) Is your experiment-data by chance collected on Hiveeye’s swarm-server? If so, I would probably be tempted to try how one could apply the integration you suggest successfully afterwards, just on the raw data.

2 Likes

Is your experiment-data by chance collected on Hiveeye’s swarm-server? If so, I would probably be tempted to try how one could apply the integration you suggest successfully afterwards, just on the raw data.

No, I have my own server, the data aren’t on Hiveeyes server. I haven’t yet implemented the algorithm in the code (will do soon…). For the test, the raw data were processed off-line.

2 Likes

Hi Henri / @hsors, the compensated “line” is awesome, nearly no peaks, even in a conservative view +/- 10 g mostely generated by a single spike! I played arround with some basic linear compensation formulars and got never that accuracy!

I assume that this compensation is a treatment for every single load cell with individual parameters and so variables in the formula. We have seen different “reactions” to temperature even on load cells from the same manufacturer and the same model.

Would it be a good idea to have a “average” compensation formula lets say for the Bosche H30 load cell as a result of testing e.g. five H30 cells and average the outcome or is this not a good idea because the formula is very specific for the behavior of a single cell and we would make more noise in case we treat all H30 cells with this treatment?

Would be really great try to implement this as Grafana formula in a dashboard! I asked some beekeeper from the documenta project to leave the scales empty or with a constant weight perhaps we can find some raw data at Grafana (use the drop down to inspect hive-01, hive-02, ...)

Hi Clemens !
I also have tried before different linear models with little success…

Would it be a good idea to have a “average” compensation formula lets say for the Bosche H30

Unfortunately, the parameters greatly vary by load cell. I have one LC that drifts by 1g/°C and another one by 7g/°C. Difficult to avoid an individual calibration…

Would be really great try to implement this as Grafana formula in a dashboard

I was thinking of implementing this in the scale itself (not done yet…) but if it’s possible to do that in Grafana, that is a good option. I am new to Grafana and haven’t dug into it very much; until now I was using Google Sheet with an API from a python program retrieving the hive data and loading those data into a google sheet file. I am now switching to node-red/InfluxDB/Grafana.

1 Like

May you attach the raw data of your plot above in any format to this thread, I can try to import this data in Grafana (we have a bulk import option there) and we can try to implement the compensation by software. I think we need the help of Wetter / @wtf as our Grafana DJ in residence but it could be a good starting point. Manipulating the data on the visualization level has some pros but also cons, but for playing with an algorithm it may be a better option than hard coding it in Arduino code or write compensated data to database directly.

2 Likes

Sure, here is the file in XL format.
If it’s not clear we can set-up a call for explanation.
TemperatureCompensationLC5-vf.xlsx (246,0 Ko)

3 Likes

And finally, here is the code along with some explanation. I implemented it in the microcontroller and it has been running for 24H outside (external temperature ranging from +15°C to +25°C) with a 2066g mass on it; weight readout has remained stable, at +/-2g (2064 to 2068g), knowing that 2g is the resolution of my scale.
weightCompensation.cpp (2,0 Ko)

additional scale-parameters.h (1,6 Ko)

Code explanation is in the following file:
Implementation.docx (25,5 Ko)
Implementation.pdf (79.8 KB) (same in PDF format)

4 Likes

Dear Henri,

thank you so much for sharing the outcome of your work. After reading the accompanying document, I would like to humbly ask if you can also add the referenced file scale-parameters.h to your original post? It looks like it might be missing there.

With kind regards,
Andreas.

Sure. Here is the file. I am available for oral explanation if needed but I need to confess that I am not a good coder at all… I learnt electronics (not computing) and it was 40 years ago… I was new to C++ until a few months ago.
scale-parameters.h (1,6 Ko)
Best regards (from Grenoble/France)
-Henri

2 Likes

Hi Henri,
Great work, a lot of time spent and knowledge. Do you have a working code example to implement into my own code? I have been using my own scales for 4 years but the compensation has always bugged me.
Either way amazing work, well done!

1 Like

Hi Adam, welcome at hiveeyes! You can find the code in post #9 in this thread!

Hi Adam. It should all be in the repository. Cheers.

Hi Adam ! Great to learn that somebody is looking at what I have done. I am not sure many people are interested and indeed temperature compensation is a “nice to have” feature which doesn’t exist in most commercial scales. I was actually more motivated by finding a solution to this engineering problem than by improving the weight measure precision…

1 Like

Hi Henri,

I got referred to your load cell temperature compensation post on Hiveeyes, when I was exploring a post considering thermal drift management of load cells in combination with the HX711 ADC at the Arduino Forum.

In your example is shown that your approach reduced the thermal drift of a Bosch HX40 load cell by nearly a factor 8 to only 2 g (1 sigma over a 3 day period) which I think is a very good result indeed. If I understand correct the Bosch HX40 uses 4 strain gages (2 in compression and 2 in tensile mode:Single point load cell H40A | BOSCHE) in a full Wheatstone bridge and as such the load cells response is (partly) temperature compensated.

However, in your application you want to stretch the load cell into a high resolution range where its response shows some remaining temperature dependency in the order of a few g per K. Given the temperature dependency, derived by calibration, and the load cell temperature you should be able to correct for thermal variation improving the measurement resolution of the HX40. In your application you’ve measured the temperature of the environment rather than the load cell itself and you state that the load cell temperature won’t keep up instantly with environmental temperature variations because of its thermal mass and the limited heat-exchange with its environment.

To overcome this, you propose a thermal ‘model’ that estimates the load cell temperature response when it is exposed to a varying environmental temperature. A sophisticated but also elaborate approach used in various high accuracy systems where accuracy is valued above added complexity.

When I analyzed your data-file I was surprised to notice that according to your model the estimated load cell temperature is at most deviating 0.25 deg C from the ambient temperature during an ambient temperature variation of about 10 deg C per 12 hours. In your example the calculating effort to derive the load cells temperature from the ambient temperature variation with the suggested model adds up to a max correction of only 1 g compared to a more simple temperature correction using the ambient temperature.

Only if the ambient temperature variations are steeper or the delay time of the load cell is higher, the additional correction by the model will get significant with respect to your variation-goal of about 2 g. So this questions why to use the elaborate calculations which barely helps to improve the thermal drift correction, and in case it would why don’t put a temperature sensor onto the load cell directly so you obtain the load cells temperature by measurement instead of additional and elaborate calculations?

Despite this, I think, for this case, the thermal correction is quite useful and interesting as it shows to be able to reduce the measurement variation to 2 g (1 sigma over a 3 day period), and if I understand from your LOADCELL_DIVIDER value the measurement range of the H40A was 100 kg, you’ve achieved a noise level of only 20 ppm. This is at least 2-3 orders better as suggested achievable by National Instruments (How Is Temperature Affecting Your Strain Measurement Accuracy? - NI).

Your post inspired me in trying to extend the measurement range of some cheep halve-bridge load cells but this attempt failed due to higher drift values exceeding the thermal related drift see graph below, and for that I think the Bosch H40A load cells seem more suited.

I hope this may of be of some help for those who want to extend the normal operation range of load cells for their specific applications.

Regards,
Geert

2 Likes

Bonjour Geert,

I apologize because for some reasons, I didn’t get the notification about your post and therefore haven’t had a chance to respond earlier. Very sorry for that.

With my limited knowledge in physics, I believe that all what you say is perfectly correct and there is obviously room for improvement. But I also believe that this discussion is very much for “techies” like you and me but probably much less relevant for ordinary people that just want a scale which works.

I must confess that in the day to day life, temperature compensation is not a “must have” feature and cases where temperature related drift is a problem are not very usual. But it is was a nice technical topic to tackle and I enjoyed the time I spent on it as well as enjoy reading all your perfectly relevant and precise technical comments.

All the best ! Henri

PS: it good to get a confirmation that the cheap bathroom type of load scales are not suited for beehive scales.

Bonjour Henri,

Thanks for your response.

Sorry for not being clear enough, but is was not my intention to state that the thermal compensation is not required… in contrary I’m convinced that thermal compensation is of high significance to be able to push the physical limits of Loadcells as you, and ordinary people, tend to do in your application (long term stability of a few grams at a total range of 100 kg, exposed to ambient-temperature fluctuations).

And indeed it may become a too detailed technical discussion for the “non techies”, but my remark was that there are more compensation options to chose from, and, unfortunate, it requires some skills to choose wisely. I think your work is outstanding and is capable to compensate for dynamic thermal effects, which requires some skills to implement correctly.

But, as you showed in your example, it only adds stability compared to stationary, less complex, thermal compensation if the thermal dynamic effects are substantial high. I realize now that my alternative to your approach by repositioning the temperature sensor at the loadcell is also not really self explaining as it takes some insights how to mount a sensor as close as possible to, but without exposing mechanical strain to the loadcell to ensure stable loadcells readings.

All of this requires some skills to be able to implement it correctly but if you keep in mind the variety of technologies which are implemented inside an industrial-scale, that meets your requirements and achievement, are of much higher level of complexity and manifold (and thus expense) as we “techies” can imagine.

I’ve continued and partial succeeded to improve the noise/drift of the cheap/low-end loadcells but am not fully satisfied. Can you elaborate in more details on what hardware you achieved your outstanding results above, like type Bosche loadcell (including quality-grade) and accompanying data-acquisition-ADC (I’m using a HX711 green-board (cheap and brandless), which is also under suspicion for drift (my own experience but also found other posts)), and where to pursue them at acceptable expense?

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Geert

Bonjour Geert,
I am using Bosche H40 load cell and HX711 ADC for data acquisition (that I bought from SparkFun here). My results are probably a bit over optimized because during my tests the scale was in a closed box, with no direct sun shine on it. Also the load cell is only 100Kg capacity, which probably minimizes fluctuations versus 200Kg load cell.
If you happen to find a solution enabling to use the cheap bathroom scale type of load cells, that would be an incredible contribution. Keep us informed of your progress. Thanks ! Henri

I don’t think there is a solution for the bathroom scale sensors. The reason is: Not only changes in temperature are responsible for the fluctuate output but also creep, an unforeseeable and unpredictable change in weight based on different factors e.g. bathroom scale sensors are not designed for continuous load and deforming (not reversible).

But it’s OT here in this thread and we can discuss it on Scales with bathroom load sensors

Hi Clemens,
Thanks for spearing me from another feasibility-quest of cheap loadcells ;-).
However, for me they could be acceptable because I may be a strange bee in the hive and it would be fair to tell this upfront. My interest is not weighing bee’s but weighing beer, and more specific during its fermentation. During this process honey (or (grain)sugars) is converted into alcohol and carbon dioxide which leaves my ‘hive’ (fermentation-vessel) as a gas. The loss of carbon dioxide per fermentation-batch amounts in the order of 5-10% by weight and for me this an important indicator how the fermentation-process is progressing. For this I’m looking for a weighing scale that can weigh up to 100 kg with drift/variation below 0.05 (app 50 g) over a week period exposed to limited ambient variations in humidity (40 - 80) and temperature (5-10 C). From all the Hiveyees-stories I read so far I understand my requirements are peanuts to the level what hiveeyes want to achieve. So actually I’m trying to ‘steal’ some of your hiveeyes-solutions for my application. But in exchange I’m willing to share some of my insights eventually including a measuring method which will exclude Seebeck thermal-electrical parasitic disturbance in loadcell circuits. I’m not sure for bee’s but some ant-colonies do cooperate with other organisms to the benefit of both, and maybe this can work also for Hiveeyes and Brewies species. So let’s find out.
Rather to summarize than to repeat previous work I understand that you in a way were involved in a comparison of various cheap(er) single load cells activity/topic started by Juergen 6.5 years ago where you showed the Bosche H30 had the best stability performance of 20 g for a 200 kg range (0.01%)(Comparison of Different Load Cells for a 4-Point Scale). Futhermore, in this post above Henri proved to be able to reduce the variation down to only 10 g for a 200 kg range scale (0.005%) by additional temperature compensation. From other topics, concerning the loadcells stability, I understand there is no clear way yet to qualify the stability from the loadcells specification-sheet. Considering the Thermal drift and Creep specification in Juergen’s overview, I would conclude that all observed loadcell variation are more or less within spec although they may not meet your requirements. On the other hand the more expensive Bosche H30/H40 fits your requirements but I couldn’t find any specification which can confirm this. Do you have by any chance the specification-sheet for the Bosche H30/H40 wrt to Thermal drift and Creep? According to the specification I obtained for the cheap bathroom loadcells, they may perform up to at least 1 order worse, so chances of meeting your requirement are close to zero as you also concluded. I wonder if you’re requirements will bound you to expensive loadcells due to their superior performance, apart from the make you own scale joy, wouldn’t it be cheaper to pursue a balance from OpenBeeLab http://www.openhivescale.org/? Did anyone tried the physical tara-ing option, remove weigh → zero reading → replace weigh, to exclude drift effects which opens the path for cheap/inferior loadcells?
Best regards,
Geert