LoPy - Triple-network WiFi, Bluetooth and LoRa dev board

Description

The LoPy is the only triple bearer MicroPython enabled micro controller on the market today […]. With the latest Espressif chipset the LoPy offers a perfect combination of power, friendliness and flexibility. […]
The LoPy can act as both a LoRa Nano Gateway and a multi-bearer (LoRa, WiFi and BLE) development platform. It is programmable with MicroPython […]. The best blend of speed to deployment and access to new LPWAN networks rolling out across Europe, USA, Africa and India. The LoPy is CE, FCC approved and is LoRaWAN certified.

Features

Basics

• Powerful CPU, BLE and state of the art WiFi radio. 1KM Wifi Range
  • Can also double up as Nano LoRa gateway
  • MicroPython enabled
  • Fits in a standard breadboard (with headers)
  • Ultra-low power usage: a fraction compared to other connected micro controllers

Processing

• Espressif ESP32 chipset
  • Dual processor + WiFi radio System on chip
  • Network processor handles the WiFi connectivity and the IPv6 stack
  • Main processor is entirely free to run the user application
  • An extra ELP-coprocessor that can monitor GPIOs, the ADC channels and control most of the internal peripherals during deep-sleep mode while only consuming 25uA

Memory

• RAM: 512KB
  • External flash: 4MB
  • Hardware floating point acceleration
  • Python multi-threading

Operating Frequencies

• 868 MHz (Europe) at +14dBm maximum
  • 915 MHz (North and South America, Australia and New Zealand) at +20dBm maximum

Range Specification

• Node range: Up to 40km
  • Nano-gateway: Up to 22km
  • Nano-gateway capacity: Up to 100 nodes

Interfaces

• 2 x UART, 2 x SPI, I2C, I2S, micro SD card
  • Analog channels: 8×12 bit ADCs
  • Timers: 4×16 bit with PWM and input capture
  • DMA on all peripherals
  • GPIO: Up to 24

Security & Certifications

• SSL/TLS support
  • WPA Enterprise security
  • FCC – 2AJMTLOPY2R
  • CE 0700

Hash / encryption

• SHA
  • MD5
  • DES
  • AES

pinout

Link

https://www.pycom.io/product/lopy/

Source: https://www.pycom.io/product/lopy/

Just as note, the LoPy is based on an ESP32 so it should have an I2S interface for digital sound recording. .

Firmware Update without Expansion Board

In case someone has bought the LoPy without an expansion board. You can also update the firmware by using a normal 3.3 V FTDI cable / breakout.

First you have to connect the

LoPy -  FTDI
------------
5 V  -  VCC
GND  -  GND
TX   -  RX
RX   -  TX 

Have a look at LoPy’s pinout diagram. Some say you need a 5V power source for the LoPy, I tried it on the secure side, switched my FTDI to 3.3 V and connected VCC to 5V. In case this doesn’t work on your side use a 5 V pin on the FTDI for power.

on the LoPY
-----------
G23 to GND

See this picture as an example (G23 to GND is missing) Download firmware and FTP to LoPy? | Pycom user forum

After the connection follow the advice on the documentation page and upload the latest firmware via the Pycom firmware tool: Redirecting... Page moved

LoRaWAN Nano-Gateway for TTN with the LoPy

The so called “Nano-Gateway” is a single-channel gateway for the TTNetwork based on a LoPy.

There is

And also a discussion how useful a single channel LoRaWAN-Gateway is.

HX711 lib for LoPy / MicroPython

DHT22 lib for LoPy / MicroPython

GitHub - JurassicPork/DHT_PyCom: Pure Python library for reading DHT sensor (DHT11, DHT22, AM2302) on Pycom or
GitHub - JurassicPork/DHT_PyCom at pulses_get

Seems that the LoPy is relatively easy programmable via C and the Arduino IDE, the LMIC-Lib should work also:

1 Like

perhaps also interesting

Similar hardware (ESP32 + RFM95) from Sparkfun