H-type scale frame (aluminium, XYZ spaceframe)

About

@karsten and @robert of Beutenkarl fame (Facebook) built a classic H-type scale frame using standard 25x25x2 aluminium tubes enclosing a Bosche H30A single point load cell.

They also documented the construction process and the general setup, enjoy reading:

Cheers!

Background

The design has been inspired by the low cost, light weight, highly durable XYZ spaceframe construction by Till Wolfer, Jesper Rølund, Ion Sørvin and Erling Sørvin, which is published under an Creative Commons “CC BY-NC-SA” license. See also:

Some impressions

Unassembled

Assembled

Ready

Fitted to the beehive ground floor.

Before mounting

Mounted

@caro, @tox and their colleagues from the University of Bremen and Hiverize built a dozen of the aluminium-based XYZ-Spaceframe scales in preparation for the Beep project.

The estimated costs will be about 60 - 70 EUR for the frame without load cell. At Gemmel Metalle I calculated around 40 EUR material costs for the standard aluminum tubes (raw tubes cut to length without drilling). Additionally, you will need two laser-cut plates and screws, washer and nuts.

@karsten also told me that the drilling can be done using a drilling press with a stopper.

1 Like

… like! :D

1 Like

Unter “Eine Stockwaage bauen” findet Ihr eine schöne Selbstbauanleitung von @tox und @caro vom Hiverize Projekt. Danke!

A interpretation of the aluminium frame scale.
The upper section is turned by 90 degree for the usage of hives with different wides and the lower section is hanging for less height over all.

2 Likes

sehr schön… fehlen nur noch die Lamellenstopfen! ;)

1 Like

Hier gibt es auch noch eine Waage aus Alu-X-Profilen:

1 Like

Auf Basis des Designs von @hsors, habe ich diesen Rahmen als Basis für meine Bienenwaagen mit entworfen:

Das Alu auf Maß & Verbindungsmaterial habe ich samt der der Lamellenstöpsel bei motedis.com bestellt.
Zum Einsatz kommt ein Aluprofil 30x30 B-Typ Nut 8 -

Sehr praktisch ist das man nicht nur die Möglichkeit hat alles aus Maß zu ordern, sondern auch gleich inkl. Gewinde um höhenverstellbaren Füße anzubringen.

2 Likes

Das schaut ziemlich schick und teuer aus, was hast du für ein Gestell so ausgeben müssen uns wie stabil ist das?

Hallo @clemens,

ohne die Stellfüße bin ich inkl. Versand auf knapp 100 € gekommen -

Hinweis: Bestellliste ist nicht 1:1 das abgebildete Gestell

Allerdings habe ich deutlich zuviele Innenwinkel bestellt und die gehen ganz schön ins Geld.

Der Zusammenbau geht schnell von der Hand und macht richtig Spaß - es kommt fast Lego Feeling auf.

Mit der Stabilität bin ich sehr zufrieden - hat die Honigsaison gut gemeistert.

3 Likes

Congrat Stefan, it looks good and the idea of adding aluminum feet is good ! Not sure if you had the same problem but my hives are moving a bit too much when there is a lot of wind. I am thinking about adding stoppers to limit the movement between the two frames.
@clemens: I make 6 of them and paid total 391€ (with no feet, only the 2 H frames with caps). But I guess aluminum price has skyrocketed since then.

2 Likes