We are still experiencing different issues with the ESP32 on the Pycom devices, see also
- Stabilität und längere Testzeiträume des Terkin-Datenloggers
- Unterstützung beim Debugging von Abstürzen und der Installation der Firmware
- Troubleshooting the recent Pycom Firmware Release 1.20.1.r1
Thomas Rogg of Neonius seems to have found a glitch related to PSRAM and dual core mode.
- Faster, optimized ESP-IDF fork + PSRAM Issues – neonious Basics
- Faster, optimized ESP-IDF fork + PSRAM Issues - ESP32 Forum
- ESP32-WROVER is fundamentally broken (but is being fixed by Espressif now) – neonious Basics
- GitHub - neonious/memcrash-esp32: Demonstrates PSRAM on ESP32 still has issues which results into crashes. *** Does not happen with low.js due to workaround
While we are not into the details of this yet, you might enjoy diving into it. It looks like Espressif is working on a workaround solution shipped through ESP-IDF to mitigate the issues for all the silicon which is already out there.