My DIY "Hive Minder" monitoring setup (LoRa sensors w/ Grafana)

After getting frustrated with all the “Bluetooth” monitoring systems, I decided to build my own LoRa-based system using readily available hardware and open-source software. (Basically like Beep but for the US)

• Dragino LSN50v2 sensor with 2 temperature probes and a HX711 based scale for weight.
  • Dragino DLOS8 LoRa gateway connected to TTN.
  • Grafana dashboard running on my own PC that used Node-Red and InfluxDB.

Here is a screen shot from my Grafana dashboard. I use the annotations function to make notes/logs. I use the Alerts function for temperature or weight events.

Matthew Brandes

6 Likes

Fahrenheit and pounds! This Grafana is really capable of handling every… wait, is this lb. av. (avoirdupois) or lb ap. (apothecaries’)? scnr … nice work! :slight_smile:

but besides the imperial-metric-jokes … it comes to my mind again, that, as a community, we haven’t had yet come to the point to agree on a common “data-format/specification/labeling” for a hive (thinking about making data-collection share- and comparable) … there has been a longer discussion in german language here (don’t forget the discourse-built-in-translation-button ;) … and meanwhile some international standardization-committee started to form as “BeeXML”:

2 Likes

I find that the US is behind other countries when it comes to hive monitoring. The majority of systems that I see seem to come from Europe & Australia.

Metric vs. Imperial system has been somewhat of a challenge. I have some sensors that report temperature in Celsius and some in Fahrenheit. I’m actually doing math to convert C to F when querying the InfluxDB. I had to create custom firmware for the Dragino sensor to report in Pounds instead of Grams.

Agreed, there is not standard… I’ve not looked hard for one, but Beep has a pretty comprehensive list of measurements.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Asking for guidance on navigating the forum

Hi @NewHopApiary,

very nice work! I am aware that a newbee dropping in and asking a bunch of stupid questions on your thread is cringe-worthy, but I am having a tough time negotiating this community.

I am also in the US so I see your work as an exemplar of what I’d like to accomplish. I am struggling in my search for a “here is the simplest setup you can do, stupid!” type of reference. I am hoping you can point me to the right place to sort of emulate what you have.

1 Like