Continuing the discussion from Using Power-over-Ethernet (PoE):
as we all know running WiFi or other radios near the bees might not be optimal, I would like to shed some light on another option here. We could well use the ESP32 with wired Ethernet and it could even be powered over PoE.
In order to get that ball rolling, I am quickly sharing some resources here.
- Ethernet on ESP32 using LAN8720
- Enabling Ethernet On The ESP32 | Hackaday
- wESP32: Wired ESP32 with Ethernet and PoE | Hackaday.io
- ESP32-POE - Open Source Hardware Board
- Software - wESP32 — Wired ESP32 with PoE
- esp-idf/components/esp_eth/src at master · espressif/esp-idf · GitHub
- ESP32-POE/SOFTWARE/ESP-IDF/ESP32_PoE_Ethernet at master · OLIMEX/ESP32-POE · GitHub
Support for that is also coming to MicroPython for ESP32.
- MQTT on LAN using ESP32 · Issue #4817 · micropython/micropython · GitHub
- Esp32 eth config by MrSurly · Pull Request #5048 · micropython/micropython · GitHub
- network.LAN is missing from the latest official builds. · Issue #5265 · micropython/micropython · GitHub