The BEEP platform

beep

What is the status of the LoRa coverage in Germany?

@marten.schoonman what do refer to with “LoRa coverage”? Do you actually mean “The Things Network”, which is building a distributed LoRaWAN network?

I really like TTN. The reason is: You can use existing TTN gateways and in case you have no gateway nearby you can add your own to the network.

Yes indeed. TTN is the crowd-sourced network. See map at The Things Network - this partly answers my question ;-) Mobile phone providers are also starting to roll it out at a fee.

Beep is not the App only but also a hardware scale! On the Workshop in Bremen we had the chance to see the Beep hardware in real:

Beep uses two normal HX711 board but solder them without pin headers to the main PCB directly. I thought this is only possible with castellated hole (“half hole”) but pim toled me that it fits also tight with nomal holes on the main PCB and the HX711 PCB.

The used load cells are 20 kg rated only. So I think this is really a weak point of the current design. Also the temperatur dependency of the load cells have to be tested.

Beep uses an interesting MCU-LoRa-Module combination, the Dragino LoRa Mini. I had this not on my plate but it seems an interesting low power alternative to a Pro Mini + RFM95. It uses the ATMega328P like the Arduino Uno, so it has also the same memory limitations. @iconize we talked about a lager memory than the Uno, but I could only find the same as the Uno in the spec.

But you have not to use the Dragino board, the Beep PCB is prepared to work with the Whisper Node LoRa from Wisen or the Ideetron Nexus.

@clemens, we talked about the Arduino mini (which has a bit less memory than the Arduino Uno). The Dragino LoRa Mini indeed has the same memory as Arduino Uno.

@iconize is veeeeeeery fast! ;-)

Beep - The assembly sessions v2.3 on Vimeo