John's ESP32 based beehive monitoring system

Here is the prototype, an ESP32 module based system which measures temperature/humidity and audio samples.

The group is working on breeding native (UK) queen bees which are in a remote location, so remote monitoring will be beneficial.

Future improvements will be adding weight monitoring and LoRa data transmission (the hives are 3Km Line of sight from our base).

2 Likes

For discussion about the case see

Would you share more about your audio data collection ? Which kind of information are you collecting ? Would they be small enough to travel on a LoRa link ?
Thanks !
-Henri

Hi Henri

It’s a 30 second wav recording which is then ftp’d to the backend for processing via in the Hive Eye’s osbh analyzer solution.

Not sure but I don’t think it would be suitable for LoRa as being a wav format it is 500K+ in size.

Would be nice to do it all at the edge really and just send the analysis. :)

Regards

John

1 Like

Are you storing audio data at the ESP before sending it via WiFi? Do you have a SD card or Flash for this or do you use LittleFS / SPIFFS for the memory of the ESP or do you sent the audio as stream directly from the ESP?

Hi Clemens

SD card. I tried using SPIFFS but it garbled the recording, probably solvable but being impatient I went with the SD card alternative. The problem with the SD card is it uses substantial battery power circa 100ma+ :expressionless:

John

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Audio acquisition and analysis with ARM Cortex-M0 and I2S microphone

Sure, it won’t be compatible with LoRa and it would be better to do the analysis on site.